Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:57:28 +0200
From:         Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@SWIPNET.SE>
Subject:      Re: Headlight Warning Buzzer??
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

GMBulley@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 8/12/98 1:30:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM writes: > > << Am I missing a component or does a 1986 Vanagon Gl Syncro not ship with a > headlight warning buzzer? I have walked away from Glacie twice now without > having switched off the headlight switch. The headlights are turned off by the > ignition key switch but, the running lights stay on and drain the battery:( I > am used to driving with my headlights on and I would like to continue, but I > am getting tired of walking home. Any suggestions (beyond the obvious >> > > John-Reed-- > > I'm not raggin' on you, but like most cars, unfortunately VW relies on YOU to > remember to turn of the lights...in fact, VW does you a "solid" and meets you > half way, "I'll remember to turn off your headlights, if you just remember to > turn yours parking lights off", pretty d*mned courteous! > > You can do a number of things to rectify your situation (beyond the obvious). > > 1, Buy one of those fancy batteries with the little yellow handle; the one > where you lift the little yellow handle, and it gives you enough juice for a > start or two. $100-- the joker at the store put it in, and you put it in right > when you get home. > > 2, In this same vein, buy one of those fancy self-switchin' battery- > isomolators. These isolate the battery if'n you are a momentary dope, and > leave your lights on. We've all done it, some just get farther from the car > before they realize it. Check JC Whitney for this one, seems like its about > $30.00-- half hour of your time in the driveway, no sweat. > > 3, If you are super smrt, smat, smert, I mean smart, you could check the > schematic for the headlight/ignition switches, and figure out WHICH wire VW > 'disconnects' to turn off the headlights when you turn off the ignition > switch. Then piggyback, (with a relay, or a Darryl-Boehler-designed device) > onto that pair of contacts, ALL of the juice for ALL of the external lights > controlled by the UN-turned-off headlight switch. Now THAT would be smart, > except you then have to have your car turned on (keys in the ignition, switch > to ON) any time you wanted even your parking lights on, and that might suck. > $20 in relay, wire and six-pack of beer -- couple of hours to dissassmble > dash/steering coloumn, three weeks of cussing trying to get it all back > together without squeeks and rattles. > > Without stating the obvious, or making snide remarks, those are my best > suggestions. :) > > gmbulley > cary, NC

All the ideas as stated above sounds great,(I really like that "drink a sixpack and rip it apart" bit)) but there is a much easier way to go: install your own buzzer! I bet you could find one on almost any car on the local wreckyard OR go to your car accessories dealer and ask for an aftermarket one. In the later case, you might get the wires and connectors you need too and maybe even some wiring diagramme :-) If none of the above works, go and get a flasher relay with only two connectors, hook one up to the headlight and the other to anything that goes on/off by the ignitionkey (lighter, vipers etc.)and that relay will screem like he** ! Good luck! Calle -88 Vanagon Mullhyttan, Sweden