Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:37:12 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Transaxle Shop/Syncro r/p ratios
Comments: To: AL_KNOLL@HP-Roseville-om2.om.hp.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 11:40 AM 8/12/98 -0700, you wrote: >Thanks Drew, you're simply great.

>available over there, I have determined that the following final drive gear >ratios are available for the syncro transmission: > >37/6 6.17 (16" vanagon?) >35/6 5.83 (diesel?) >38/7 5.43 (diesel?) >34/7 4.86 (DEFAULT USA) This is what all you gasoline people have. >32/7 4.57 (?) > >I'd be interested in perhaps buying a pair of ring/pinion sets so to move >up in wheel height to 15" with LT tires. Which would you recommend or should >I just do the math?

I recomend that you keep your current 4.86. If you want to do like I am going to do, then it doesn't matter whether you go with 15" tires or 16" wheels. I would go with 15" wheels for various reasons. What matters is how tall your tires are. Syncro Vanagons have tires that are about 25" to 27" tall, depending on the tire chosen. With 6.17 gears, you could then choose a tire of somewhere around 31" or so (I haven't done the math lately). The objective is to choose a tire that, with 6.17 gears, gives you the same gearing characteristics as a stock syncro with 25" or 24" tires. (low gearing helps off road). But you might have to change your rear trailing arms to fit this larger tire, and there may be clearance issues up front too. I believe some of these issues can be addressed by installing fairly thin tires for that height. It is difficult enough to plan and implement these steps that I very well may be the only person in the USA to do it when I finally get it done. I think you should think twice about doing it unless you have a passion for this setup that cannot be denied. Keep in mind that you would probably want to have spare transmissions for 6.17 front and rear ready to go in the event that one of your installed units goes bad.

The list is almost useless unless you read every message right away. Get on robots for the little throw away Pennysaver-type publications. I like www.traderonline.com I think is one. _____________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington DC ConsumerSearch drew@interport.net 212-580-6486, 202-966-7907 (W) 212-580-4459; 202-966-0938 (H)