Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:15:47 -0700
From:         Terry Buchanan <tbuchana@XYLAN.COM>
Subject:      My first visit shopping for a Vanagon
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hello everyone in Vanagonland,

After many week of searching, I finally found a vehicle that I thought was worthy of going to see personally. Fortunately, it wasn't a far drive, cuz it wasn't all it was advertised to be. To make things worse, he was unwilling to deviate much from his asking price of $10,500.

Although I'm still primarily interested in getting a multivan, this was a '91 Carat with autotrans. It supposedly had only 50K miles on, but all

of the interior was really worn, the arms on the chair didn't hold up, the power window lever on the passenger side was hanging off, the power mirrors worked intermittently, the driver's side window made a loud grinding sound when raising up, one the window water jets didn't work, it rattled over bumps (he said it was the table needing padding), the window tint on all the windows was coming up, there was a crack in the front bumper, a dent in the outside bodywork where the door railed back into, seems like it MIGHT have needed new shocks (not sure how to tell if it needs new one), and that's all I could find without a thur-oh search! I'm wondering what I'd find if I knew what to look for and did a

more in-depth search. It's hard to believe it has only 50K miles. Shouldn't it look more like a museum piece at this point? How can you tell if it's really got more miles? (i.e.: he's had the speedo disconnected or turned back)

Does this seem like it's too high a price? It doesn't even have an upgraded stereo! Lemme know what ya think.

Thanx, Terry