Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 1998 00:46:48 EDT
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Darrell's '86 Westy trans rebuild
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Darrell wrote:

<< My transaxle, 2wd 86 westy 243k miles 091 transaxle, is making more noise than I care to listen to......

I want to / plan to purchase most all the bearings, synchronizer rings, synchronizer keys, reverse slider gear and from many posts Todd Hill has me convinced the 3 rd / 4th gear synchronizer hub should be replaced, thanks Todd. So where are the best prices on transaxle parts ?>>

If you've got 243K on an orginal factory 091-1 box then you may have set some sort of record! ;)

You can buy from me if you like- I try my best to be competitive or you might try these sources as well:

Weedle Engineering Long Beach, CA 562-598-2731 (John or Chris Weedle)

ERCO Riverside, CA 909-689-4430 (Eric Ballard)

Long Enterprises Sebastopol, CA 707-829-1169 (Rick Long) _____________________________

There should be someone/place in your area that specializes in VWs. Ask them who their wholesaler is and if you can have them order you some parts. Alot of times those prices can be very close to what you'd could get mail ordering.

Keep in mind that while the '78 and the '86s are both called 091 gearboxes they are very different. One of the nice things about the later 091s is that the shift forks do not require the special VW jig set up and line up very much like the front wheel drive VW transaxles.

Good Luck!

Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA

I prefer doing my own work and have some experience with the 091 transaxle on a 78 westy and feel that experience will serve me well on the 86. While in there it would be nice to install a little taller rear end, in the 4.50 to 4.40 would be neat. tia for any help with my quest. >>