Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:36:07 -0700
From:         Wolfsburg <wolfsburg@CENTURYINTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wanted: Multivan?!
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>, tbuchana@XYLAN.com

Terry Buchanan,

I purchase my first Vanagon new in 1991. After several years of driving it, I wanted another one. So I started my search. I got the Sunday newspapers, trading times and surfed the net. I kept a log book of the vans I did look into. It became quite comprehensive.

One day last June, I called a van modification store seeking some anti-slip tape and the owner asked me, "Are you still looking for another Vanagon?" I said, "Yes!" He told me that one was coming in on Monday from a estate sale with 22,250 miles on it. He is working through a lawyer. I looked at it that Monday, off from work. I could not believe it! It looked like it just rolled off the assembly line! Brand new! The dealership told me to put a bid on it and he'll asked the lawyer in charge. I offered him $8000. They took it!!!! It was one of those events where I was at the right place at the right time. It is a white 1991 Vanagon Carat, loaded, air, cruise, power windows, brakes, locks, mirrors, am/fm/cass radio, velour interior, automatic, theater seats, rear bench bed, pop-up table, ...

Ok, your probably asking, "What's wrong with it?" Well, there were some things that were wrong with it. There is a small dent by the rear wheel well that needs body filler. The cruise control didn't work. The cargo carpet was very soiled and the thermostat housing needed replacing. Ok, $500 for additional repairs on this van. I paid $8500 for a almost new Vanagon Carat. Not Bad.

What I am saying is keep looking and keep a log of the vans you do look at. Estate sales and divorce sales are sometimes better deals to aquire because they are trying to get ride of them. I am sure somewhere, someone has one sitting in their garage with low mileage on it, thinking of gettting rid of it.

I remember in 1995, I saw a add for a 1991 Vanagon Carat with 4900 miles on for $12500. It was in North Carolina. At that point in time I was unable to travel out there and look/purchase it.

Keep looking, Floyd Truskot