Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:08:23 -0400
From:         Christopher Quijano <cjquijano@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      EV Problems/cost - Any sugestions?
Comments: To: EV Update List <ev_update@maller.com>
Comments: cc: Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Well, in my most recent talk with my VW mechanic at Chaplin's, I was informed that I have the highest milege EVC VR6 they have seen. So I thought I would share problems with everyone.

First of all, I have a 1997 EVC VR6. The van was purchased in October 1996, so its less than two years old. I have 39K on the van which is a mix of freeway and city driving. My van averages 16 mpg, and I have put 20 gallons in the tank (to answer other posts).

The problems started at 33,000 miles. the rear (good news... it has two)

O2 sensor went out. the emissions warrenty covers the sensor for 2yr/24,000miles. I complained and the dealer paid labor and VW paid for the part. However, this part should have lasted for 90,000+ miles. Total cost of repair was $500.

At 36,000 miles the alternator went out in the van. The extended warrenty did cover this, however, in my limited experience I have never seen an alternator go out under 100K. The cost for this repair was $700.

At 39,000 miles the rear passenger blower went out (right behind the passenger seat). Luckily extended warrenty is covering this. The total cost will be around $500 (I'm still waiting for the part to come in).

Last Monday the van went in for its 30K mile tune-up. The dealer thought

it was on the 40K schedule, that's why it was so late. The total cost was $650. This included $85's worth of spark plugs, $50 air filter, $50 automatic tranmission filter, and a bunch of other expensive ($40-50) parts. It was about $350 parts, $300 labor.

I picked up the van on Tuesday, and Wednesday morning the engine light came on. I hubbled to the dealer to find out the #3 spark plug was mis-firing.

It turns out the wire was arching and the dealer suggested replacing all six wires. VW of course, will not touch this. However the dealer has offered to pay the labor costs. The parts are about $300 and the labor will be around $300. for a total repair cost of $600.

When I was looking a the vans I was also thinking about getting a late model used Westfalia. But since the Westfalia campers I saw were expensive, I opted to pay more and get the reliability of a new van. Well, the total repairs and tune-up for te EVC is now about $3000 in a year and a half. For this price and headache I could have replaced an entire vanagon engine (so I haven't paid all $3000 myself, but its the prinipal!).

Well, i found the general number for VW of America on the web, so now its

time to try an end run around the cusomer relations people.

Good Luck with your EVC's!

Christopher Quijano