Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:43:58 PDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <bartnik@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Bad alternator?  Possibly related to hard starting...
Comments: To: type2@type2.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hey all, I learned some things today that may help explain my hard starting when cold problem.

Due to detective work I was trying to do on my '81 2.0 air-cooled Vanagon (trying to track down a rotational noise on the right side) I had made a couple engine starts with shutoffs soon after. Then I drove to the FLAPS for some parts for the Karmann Ghia. The engine started fine during all these instances. When I was on the way home, I turned onto my street (which is a cul-de-sac) and as I was headed to the turn-around I shut off the engine to better hear the noise. Well I was able to better hear the noise but that's another post :-)

The cul-de-sac goes slightly downhill, with the bottom of the hill being the turn-around area. So naturally I coasted down into this area and stopped, listening closely to this noise. When I stopped and tried to restart the van, I had a problem. The starter was turning the engine over very slowly and the engine would not start. I thought perhaps my starter motor was going bad. After a few tries and realizing that it's just my luck that this happened at the BOTTOM of a hill (D'OH!), I got out, walked up the street to my house, got my mom's Dodge Neon, drove it down to where my van was stalled, and decided to try to jump start it.

Well the jump start was quite successful. In fact, the engine cranked over quicker than it ever has since I've had it and it started immediately. Hmmm, said I, I think perhaps my battery is on its way out.

I figured that if my battery was dying that would certainly explain the hard starting when cold problem I am experiencing.

So I drove the van home, and parked it facing downhill (just in case!). Then I did some work on the Ghia and came back to the van just now. I took my voltmeter and checked out the battery. I got 12.2 or so volts, which I know is not fully charged, but it was pretty close. I wanted to check what the voltage dropped to when I turned the key to start. So I did that, fully expecting the engine not to start. However, it turned well and started right up, and voltage went down to 10.45 while it was cranking.

But here's the suspicious part: With the engine running at idle, I only measure 12.89 volts at the battery when I fully expect to see 13.8-14 volts! This voltage did not rise to 13 volts no matter how high I revved the engine. So I wonder if I should blame my alternator or voltage regulator. It certainly seems to me that the battery is being undercharged at the very least and is suffering as a result, especially in the morning when cold (desperately hoping this is related to my hard starting problem!).

Compared to having my battery hooked up to that Neon's battery, my van has been cranking pretty slowly lately. I think perhaps the battery is not delivering the current necessary for quick starting, and we know that cooler temperatures adversely affect the efficiency of automotive batteries. I don't know, however, if this is a problem due to the battery or if it's the fault of my alternator/voltage regulator.

Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

Sean Bartnik Fairfax, Virginia ============================ '81 Vanagon L Westfalia '74 Karmann Ghia convertible http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm