Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:58:04 -0700
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: It's still alive!
Comments: To: David Chasteen <dchaz@gte.net>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I noticed the same problem with my EGR filter; the entire bottom of the filter had rusted through on both sides, though there was plenty of good metal above and below the rusted area. So I got a couple of packages of that "muffler putty" stuff at my local flaps and went at it, following the directions implicitly, and darn if it didn't turn out pretty good!

You can smooth this stuff out pretty well (I think you're supposed to mist it with water) and it dries a kind of grey color that actually blends in fairly well with the EGR. In my case, you have to look closely at the EGR (and know what you're looking for) before you even notice the repair. As far as I can tell everything's working all right, and the "fix" was considerably cheaper than a new one at the dealer. As I recall we're talking 3 figures here for a new filter!