Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Aug 1998 05:31:35 -0700
From:         jim catterson <termite@ROCKETMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheels (reprise)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: kbrennan@aol.com

the audi wheels are not the correct offset for the vanagon as they are 45et, thus the spacers to correct the offset difference. you are correct that the answer is offset in relation to wheel width but your testy reply when some of us are just relating our experiences is a mystery. the real problem is that the van uses a 5 x 112 bolt pattern and only two other companies that i know of use the same pattern: audi [for the quattros and turbos] and mercedes. the available offsets for these cars are generally not compatible w/ the van when we are talking oem wheels. thus you either need to use wheel spacers to help w/ the difference or go to aftermarket. for this you will have to do the math to figure it out. i told you that the audi 15x6 45et wheels w/ a 5-7mm spacer will give you very little clearance at the rear where the wheel [no, not tire, although i included the tire size and its clearance as well to help you out] meets the trailing arm welded seam. [ btw, this isn't just a claim, have been driving around w/ the audi wheels for over a year and they work nicely] using the stock et for comparison you will see that there is not a lot of play in the back w/o finding a wheel that will have a great deal less et. you can deduce what size wheel will fit at the rear by lining up a metric ruler against the stock wheel and then move the ruler to simulate a wider wheel. you could probably do it on paper as well. i can't help you for the front as i have no clearance issues at all up front. sorry that my original reply to you was not broken down so that it could be processed easier

cheers jim catterson 91 syncro 93 ev gl ny