Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:39:54 -0400
From:         Henry Luhrs <Henry.Luhrs@NMR.BRUKER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Lifespan?

Hi Dave, I know that a lot of problems are discussed on this list, and it might seem that every Syncro has all of these problems every month or so, but I think that they are generally very reliable. They all seem to have the problem with the head water seals and if yours weren't replaced, they will probably have to be within the next 10K to 40K miles. Mine lasted for about 80K miles here in Frostbite Falls New England (The cold winter weather seems to be worse on this problem) and were replaced at VW's expense. The van now has 170K and before the warm weather arrived, I noticed a few tell tale drips in the morning so they will probably have to be done again before winter. They seem to last between 70K and 150 K miles. I think longer mileages are in areas with better (warmer) climates, but I can't be sure. Given that fact that my van (87) is 11 years old and has been used by not only me as a daily driver, but my teen aged sons to ferry various volley ball teams all around New England (My oldest son once came back from a Volley Ball tournament and said "Hey dad, the van can go 100!), it has been very reliable. The entire drivetrain (except for the head seals) is still original. It has never left me stranded anywhere and is still the vehicle of choice when we take a long trip. I guess it's getting time to some rebuilds since the gears are starting to get a bit noisy, but it is still rock solid reliable. Except for the head seal possibility, I don't think there's anything more to worry about than with any used car purchase, and with the people and vendors on the list, if you do need work, it doesn't have to be all that expensive.

Henry > Hello again [syncro] experts, > > It appears from all the postings and ads regarding syncros that many > need their drivetrains rebuilt around the 100K mark. Is this true or > are these just the ones being traded? I am considering an'87 with 90K - > never been rebuilt, never had the heads rebuilt as far as I know. Are > the CVs, differentials and heads going to need replacement/rebuilds in > the next 10K, 25K, 50K? Could it last forever? > > Thanks, > > David Bogle > '72 2.0L Brooklyn Campmobile >

============================================================================= . o . . . . . . Henry Luhrs . . . . NMR final test manager B R U K E R henry.luhrs@nmr.bruker.com . . . . Phone 978-667-9580 Ext 329 . . . . Fax 978-667-6406 . o . . http://www.bruker.com =============================================================================