Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Aug 1998 21:05:43 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 87 Vanagon hesitation chapter (3)
Comments: To: Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

--------------------------- Hi Larry and Volks, I maybe should not have been quite so harsh in explaining the path electrons must take to complete the circuit on the oxygen sensor and VW did a pretty good job as many of our vans have over 200k miles. Keep in mind many of us have never had trouble with the grounds. The most probable point of failure would be the connection on top of the left head. If we soldered a wire to the ECU cable wire that goes to pin 19 and use a ring type connector under a ground screw on the head should be adequate. Cleaning the connector on top of the left head will work also for a time. Maybe it is all the vibration that cause the problems with the ground connections on top of the engine. Your idea of running a wire from the sensor to head would eliminate many points of failure. I would consider running it from the sensor to the ECU pin 19 wire on top of the left head. I have never tried a 4 wire oxygen sensor on the wasser boxer but I plan to the next time I replace mine. They have the white heater wires and the black just like the 3 wire sensor. They also have a gray wire that is the minus lead from the sensor to the ECU. We could connect this gray wire to the wire on the left head that goes ECU pin 19. If this works out I'll check into the possibility of getting a 4 wire connector that mates up to a popular low priced 4 wire O2 sensor. Then we will only need to solder connectors on one time.

Darrell

-----Original Message----- From: Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Friday, August 14, 1998 7:27 PM Subject: Re: 87 Vanagon hesitation chapter (3)