Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Aug 1998 21:41:39 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      2.0L engine swap is done... WOW!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Well the engine swap is done - gone is the 70hp 1.5L Audi Fox engine and in is the 115hp 2.0L Audi 80 engine. Total swap time of about 12 hours from start to finish

The swap went quite smoothly, as there was a lot of prepping done outside of the Double Cab. I did the wiring harness from scratch and made the fuel pump relay "black box" that interfaced with the CIS-E knock sensor and hall controller before I took out the old engine. This setup works quite well as there were only 8 inputs needed to make the whole engine with knock sensor run:

- Ground - 12V unswitched - 12V switched - 12V while starter is on - Water temp - Oil temp - Oil pressure - Fuel pump

Bolting the engine in place was quite uneventful as I already had the motor mounts and cross member designed from the previous install. Swapping the KEP engine adapter and flywheel / clutch was also quite simple. Installing the vanagon 90A alternator and vanagon power steering was a little challenging but nothing too serious!

After bolting the engine in place and connecting the 8 wires to the existing vanagon wiring harness it was time to connect the exhaust, coolant lines and fuel injectors and then turn the key.

I must say that the Audi 80 2.0L is a very nice, smooth engine! I took the truck down my 500m driveway and did a little off-roading in the ditch and then drove back up the driveway again. This is the first time that my Double Cab actually set me back in my seat! Not the gut wrenching 6.5s 0 to 100k that my Rabbit Pickup can do but still enough to spin a little gravel and to draw comments from the wife!

Currently the timing is 4deg ATDC so there is still some work to do which will only make things better! Tomorrow after I get insurance I will take it for a road test. Hopefully I can make it up the 2km 18% grade and not have to drop it out of 4th gear. With a few trick like 12deg DTDC initial timing and no catalytic converter and a free flow muffler I should be doing about 130hp and 140lb torque.

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING PMAIL --