Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Aug 1998 23:45:38 -0500
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      Camper Indicator Panel LED's !!!
Comments: To: Vanagon Post <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Hi, I have to appologize for my lame post on this issue. It was late, I'd been up all night the night before, etc., etc....... So I determined to right the poor information I'd given you all, but then later I read more posts and lo and behold, there was the answere. The information below is correct.

1. The reverse voltge of a standard silicon based diode is about 2 volts, this is when voltage polarity is applied in the correct direction so as to light it. See the original post below, Darrell measured 2.0 volts. Good for you Darrell, thanks. Note that if you check 97.29 in Bently, they use a 470 ohm resistor in line with the LED, for an operating current of 21.3 ma. That's about right.

2. The forward voltage is about 0.7 volts, and that's for any silicon diode. If you apply voltage polarity in the wrong direction, the LED won't light, and you'll blow it out. LED's are polarity sensitive. Not like incandenscents.

3. You can get red, green and yellow LED's from VW. (Also Blue, but I didn't inquire.) They sell them as replacements for the instrument panels. They cost, $3.55 for red, $3.20 for green, and $6.25 for yellow. No to bother with the part numbers. Source, B'ville VW, Eric in parts, Sat. noontime.

4. The Radio Shack parts you want are 99 cents apiece. See the part numbers in the original post below. ** SEE ORIGINAL POST BELOW.

5. VW says you can repair and replace LED's in the dash panels, see group 90 in your Vanagon Bently. Group page 97.29 - Wiring, Camper, shows the process to check the camper indicator panel. Both Eric at B'ville parts, and the Bently check process in 97.29, say to replace the whole panel. HOG WASH.

6. You will have to remove, then solder in new LED's, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to replace the LED's.

7. and last but not least, here's the thing to think about - CAREFULLY!

In all my 25 years as an electrical engineer, not necessarily working directly with LED's mind you, I have NEVER known an LED to fail, except when not biased or powered correctly. So follow 97.29 to check your panel FIRST. Do it carefully, then double check it again. If indeed you have a faulty LED, then carry on.

Ch '89 SyncroBeast Vanagon

'87 16V GTI '87 16V GTI w/ hale damage '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor '86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto)

'80 850 Yamaha Special

Prior Lake, MinneSnowta well, ok, it's summer Land of Sky Blue Waters

*** Original post follow up *** <<<<< AND UPDATES TO IT IN CAP'S Darrell blows this issue out fast! Decisive, fast...wow.

Here are the part numbers he offers for refrigerator water level LEDs.