Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Aug 1998 22:04:46 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      CV / Trans noise update
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I spent the day removing both axles, cleaning the CVs, then repacked, reversed the axles and re-installed.

The joints looked fine, although I didn't dissassemble them, just cleaned with lots of paper towel and brake cleaner. Boots were also fine, so I left them. I only managed to strip one bolt, and that was during installation, so I was quite impressed... ;-) After reading the files archive about CVs, I packed lots of grease in the first side (used nearly all of a long tube - 400g). I know this is double what is called for, but it didn't seem excessive. I then had to go the local FLAPS and get more grease - all they had were 90g tubes at $4 each! I bought two and did the other side by the book, which leaves very little grease after the joint is filled. I was warned that I may blow the boots off by using as much grease as I did. I'll keep an eye on things... (if anyone thinks I will definitely blow the boots and should fix it now, please e-mail me!)

As for the knocking noise, I still haven't driven it, but the noise is less noticeable when on jack stands now, but still present. I can only assume this is due to reversing the joints, since they were well greased when I started.

Thanks to all who offered advice!