Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Aug 1998 09:25:49 -0400
From:         "Timothy O. Crooks" <anc1cde@INJERSEY.INFI.NET>
Subject:      Re: LOUD! cooling fan/91 Vanagon
Comments: To: Frank Goodrick <video.image@IBM.NET>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Do you have aircon? The fan does kick in at a higher temp at the higher speed. THere is also a sensor in the aircon line that senses at higher refrigerant pressure and will tell the fan to run faster. You should hear the fan run at the low speed when your compressor is running with the aircon.

It is the circuit outside of the fan that controls this, not the fan. I never knew of a 450 watt fan. Do you still have the old part # of your fan? How does it compare with the new one?

Yes there are times I do not trust some VW dealerships as well. Mine tried to insist on a different resistor for my fan, but the wiring was different. Turns out they tried to sell me one for a Eurovan. The part is very simple to replace. 1. Take off the grill cover. 2. Remove the right headlamp assy. 3. The relay is located behind the headlamp assy. Just spread the bracket a bit, take out the tubular shaped resistor , and disconnect the wires. That's it. My actual part cost me about $70 U.S.

Sounds to me like that is your gremlin, not the fan. If you have aircon, it is not good to let it run without the cooling fan on the condenser. It will create too much pressure.

Good luck, Tim