Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Aug 1998 19:49:42 EDT
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: syncro trans gear oil
Comments: To: ray.wei@us.pwcglobal.com
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Yi-Ruey Wei asked:

<< I have a hard time to get any info. from my VW dealer and they themselves don't even use GL-4 gear oil in their service dept. >>

Am I surprised at that?? Can you guess one of the reasons why I no longer wish to work for VW?? At my last job for VW where I was a mechanic they moved a person from being a receptionist to a Service Advisor. One day they came out into the shop and while I had a Passat up on the lift asked me if a part of the engine was the oil pan?!? I couldn't explain to them why a car had a driveability problem because they either thought a Vanagon should have its timing belt changed or they did not have the slightest clue as to what Motronic, AFC, CIS, or CIS-E even stood for. So in the future don't bother with the S/As and ask for the VW shop foreman. Hopefully, they will have some sort of understanding how an engine works and will have the tech bullentins at least logged into a 3-ring binder.

<<Can you tell us where can I get GL-4 Redline MTL or MT-90? I didn't see those at Pep Boys' etc.>>

In my experience most parts stores like that tend to staff their front counter with folks whose last jobs had the statement "You want to supersize that?" By using the LCD method of hiring employees they can get by with doing 95% of the work for the least amount of money. For the places that the staff would know what Redline is and what the difference between MTL and MT-90 is off the top of their head, I'd look for the FLVWPS in your area instead of the FLAPS. The FLAPS are great for motor oil, car wax, and the little pine trees that dangle off the rear view mirror, but not much else. (Again, IM not so HO) If you cannot locate it there then try Motocycle or what used to be called 'Speed Shops' where the true gearheads hang out. Also, I believe Redline is at: www.redline.com (?)

<< BTW, is there a easy way to check/refill the Syncro 094 transmission/rear differential and front differential? I've tried once but these refill plugs just get blocked by the Syncro sub-frames. >>

Wonderful forethought by the VW engineers isn't it? Let's make an expensive piece of equipment that much harder to service so hopefully it gets skipped and has a shorter lifespan. Sorry, no easy way to do that I am aware of. Hopefully someone out here has a better way than what the Black Forest Elves designed.

Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA