Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:47:57 EDT
From:         Karl Mullendore <Westys4evr@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Us canada import customs.
Comments: To: gaelen@NETTAXI.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

BT,DT ! I imported a Syncro Westy 2 years ago,what an experience! If the van in question has a door-jamb sticker stating it conforms to Federal standards,you're in good shape!The van has to be a model that was sold also in the US.Contact the DOT for exact current regulations-but when I brought mine down,it was fairly easy once I got the paperwork ready.You will be required to get a 'letter of compliance' from VWOA-this was the hardest part for me,as VW gave me the run-around for 2 months,saying it was not a Federal approved van(even though it had all the stickers!!!).Finally,after vowing to never buy another VW product,and beginning to look at other not-so-legal ways of getting it here,as well as making many calls to VW customer service(some not-so-nice) voila-a FAX from VW,a letter of NON-compliance,basically what was needed,as all that didn't comply was the speedo and the brake warning indicator(!!) Sent that to DOT,they said if I would change those 2 items in Canada,take it to an authorized VW dealer for that to be verified,FAX all that to DOT,THEN they would FAX back an approval letter,and I was free to bring it in the US.DO get a bill of sale!!! US customs will give you lots of grief if you don't have one! OK- hope I've conveyed most of the process.Here are my contact #s:DOT:Kathy Rice,202-366-5283;US Customs:410-962-2191. If you need any further advice,I'll be glad to assist.

Karl ' 87 CANADIAN spec Syncro Westy