Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Aug 1998 21:20:56 8
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <wesn@mail.eskimo.com>
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@ESKIMO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Suggestions Re: Dometic Fridge
Comments: To: "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>, vanagon@vanagon.com

Sounds like the evaporator fan thermostat, indeed. These should kick in at a fairly low temperature - about 130F if I recall properly (I know they will run even without the fridge on if the van is left in direct sun light, hot garages, etc.). A hair dryer should generat more than enough heat to trip the thermostat. Try shorting across the t'stat terminals and see if the fan runs (i.e. bypass the t-stat). If not, it may be a bad fan or lack of 12V power to the fan circuit. Also worth checking that the t'stat is firmly attached to the condensor fin so that it is sensing the proper temperature.

Might be worth investing $15-20 in one of those "fancy schmancy" meters though (e.g. Radio Shack). Way less $$ than a trip to your friendly Dometic service vendor - even less than a week's worth of ice...

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA wesn@eskimo.com