Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:08:58 -0400
From:         Bruce Wood <Bruce.B.Wood@VALLEY.NET>
Subject:      upper bunk
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I recall a thread sometime back about how to keep your pillow from falling from the upper bunk. One of the more novel suggestions involved the use of Velcro. Our solution was less inventive, but it has other benefits as well.

What we did was cut a board that basically is just an extension of the fold-out portion of the upper bunk. The sides sit on the same rails as the fold-out bed. We cut notches out of the front corners to allow the board to fit around the support brackets for the pop top. The end result is a wooden platform that reduces the opening at the front of the bunk to perhaps three inches.

Pre-children, we found the board was a perfect place to place a battery-powered lantern, glass of water, wallet, keys, etc. Put your pillow out there and suddenly your feet don't hit the back of the canvas anymore. (And your pillow will not drop into the abyss below.)

We just came back from a week camping in the Champlain Islands of Vermont with our two children (6 1/2 and 4 1/2) and for the first time they BOTH slept up top. And with the board in place, there were no concerns about them falling from the bunk in the middle of the night.

Because the board is the same width as the bunk, we place it cross-wise at the back of the pop-top for storage before folding up the bed and dropping the top. Fits like a charm.

It's a decidedly low-tech solution, but works great for us!

--Bruce--