Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Aug 1998 08:33:03 -0800
From:         YauMan Chan <YauMan@CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      87 Vanagon shakes after Clutch job - Resolution
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hello all fellow Vanagonians (or is it Vanagoneers)

This is an update on my 87 Vanagon GL who ran perfectly for 10 year (120,000miles) until a recent clutch job. Thank you to all who replied to my posting. Here is a summary of all your suggestions:

In general, everyone agree that this is a well known problem with the Vanagons and the causes are many, the most common ones suggested are

1. The Sach clutch. There may be a bad batch out there. Some rivets may have come loose. A few suggested using LUK clutch - its oem for the Synchro but will fit the 2wd'ers 2. Flywheel needs to be resurfaced.. in this case it was done..at least I thought. 3. Check the operating lever arm which pushs on the release bearing.. make sure that they are evenly worn..any slight differences will cause the shaking clutch problem 4. Engine and transmission not properly aligned and bolts not properly torqued when put back together. 5. Shaking will go away when the new clutch is worn in.. It's still there after 2000 miles.

So, armed with this information, I went back to the shop. They agree to take a look at the problem again. They agree to not charge me for the labor, but if I needed new parts like the release lever or another clutch, I will have to pay for it. They also did not admitted to damaging the motor mounts.

I got my van back and it works much better now. They did not replace anything.. just refitted and realigned. This weekend putting the van to test, I can only make it shake when it fully loaded and starting up hill (steep San Fran hills!). Otherwise under normal use, it did not shake easily.. I can make it shudder slightly if I let go the clutch a bit fast.

So there it is.. not being a litiguous person that I am, I will let it go. For my troubles, the shop gave me a coupon for a free smog check when my next one is due.

Now for my next problem.. my AC hi-pressure hose just blew.. next posting..

Yau-Man Chan 87 Vanagon GL 120,000 miles.. original owner..