Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:04:11 -0400
From:         Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>
Subject:      Retro Resurrection theme
Comments: To: Vanagon Mailing Lis <Vanagon@vanagon.com>

This Retro Resurrection theme... what everyone seems to be missing is the BIG picture, Stand back and try and wrap your heads around this... VW Audi...just bought....Rolls Royce... they are not interested in a Do it Yourself market?.... You guys say "they will listen to us"... DUH... How many times have everyone of us freaked out at VW's prices.. right at the counter, over the phone etc.... because of those prices we have gone out and created a whole aftermarket of more reasonable parts and accessories.... VW knows all that.... they make a really excellent profit margin on parts with top Hourly shop rates...Now they are moving up from Audi's to Silver Shadows, they are not going to have a little discount service bay down at the end of the shop where their Rolls & Audi owners have to see us and might rub shoulders with you?... they are going for the Gold... Now what I do see maybe happening, is as in Mexico, where there is a market for reasonably priced transportation... if enough people went across the border and asked for retrofits, then a market would form & grow.... we live in a world that's a market driven economy ... Look out your van windows... see the Explorers, $40K+ SUV's out the wazoo, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Benz all have them now ... Big Bucks Baby toys... no company with a board of directors & stock holders is interested in small cult potatoes...they want market share, fat margins and no brainers who will bring their expensive babies in and do anything the service managers say... even the new Bug is just a Silicon Babies toy, you think the new bug owners are going to be fixing their cars like we did 1600cc... not when they offer free car washes with your oil change... and by the way we found this little thingy hanging down and we think you should get it fixed........

This is the BIG picture... VW Audi Just bought Rolls Royce.... They are Moving, Up town, Big time.....This is their rear view mirror.... We are that little speck back there...the one with the doors blown off.

Rob 87 Westy SyncroGL

Ps just got back from a great week-end doing some Algonquin back roads... what a trip that Syncro is.