Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:32:09 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Just got back from Syncroing!
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

The *FIRST LAW* of four wheeling is: when you get stuck the first thing to do is air down to about 18psi.

It is impossible to keep this idea in your head, and there is something disagreeable about executing it, so you may need to write out a reminder to yourself.

The second law of four wheeling is that you will probably forget the first law when you first get stuck.

At 11:38 PM 8/16/98 -0700, you wrote: >What fun I had today! My friend and I were exploring some of the logging >roads in the backcountry today. I decided to bring the video camera and I >have some "show-off" picture posted on my site! Today I got stuck for the >first time ever. We were playing in a gravel pit and I climbed a mound of >fine gravel that was about 10m tall. No problems here. At the top of the >pile the grade became less. So I figured I would keep on driving... then I >got stuck, even with the diff lock on... the two rear wheels and one front >wheel just started spinning... reverse got me out with no problems so I >tried forward and to the left a bit.... spin spin spin... I don't feel too >bad though, the F-150 couldn't make it up to the top of the pile :) > >Anyhow... I have some pictures of my driving up and back down a 45 degree >slop that is covered in mud at http://www.volkswagen.org/MyVWs/DoubleCab > >Anyone else have some off-roading photos to share and some suggestions on >how to handle fine gravel and sand better? > > > >-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- > -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- > -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- > -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- > -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING PMAIL -- > ________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC drew@interport.net '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html

Also seen at: http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swrange.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/snow.html http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swmassn.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/Campers/Campers.html

Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) are: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/