Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:15:13 -0700
From:         shilohz <shilohz@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Carver P4 installation notes
Comments: To: Ssittservl@aol.com, vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: Benjita@aol.com, berky@win.bright.net, ebrown@Adobe.COM,
          gypsy@crcwnet.com, joe_ernest@ccgate.unionsanitary.com,
          mag@lucasdigital.com, mwagner@prizmpharm.com, shantech@ptdprolog.net,
          Ssittservl@aol.com, ThingGuy@aol.com

I installed the Carver P4 heater last week.

It is so cool to look at that it is easily worth the 525$. The thermostat looks very German and fits perfectly in the decor of the Westfalia.

Here is a brief summary of how I installed it, please email me for any further questions:

1. My Westfalia is a 82 diesel so that it does not have a heater under the bench seat as I have heard that the gas ones do. I installed the heater in a vertical position along the front face of the rear seat and close to the water tank side of the seat. I placed it about 5 inches from the wooden side panel.

2. The holes for the exhaust and intake are very close to the center of the van and therefore there is no problem with the stiffening beams of the chassis. I ran the exhaust vent out to the drivers side just forward of the jack hole. I ran the intake line to the frame rail and then turned it 90 degrees towards the front of the van and terminated it near the gas tank, along the frame rail.

3. I did not run the propane line behind the refrigerator. I did not feel like removing the fridge or tieing into the gas lines under the sink. I did run the power lines behind the fridge and connected the positive to the fuse under the driver's seat. I mounted the fuse that came with the unit under the driver's seat. I bought a 3/8" piece of rubber hose propane line that was 6 feet long. This was a perfect length. I bought a brass T and made a new connection for the new line at the place after the regulator under the van. Mine had a T and split the line to the fridge and the stove. I added another T to the existing T at the regular. I then drilled a 1 inch hole in the hidden area next to the water tank and brought the new propane line into the van in the hole. I had previously drilled a hole from the hidden compartment into the seat area previously. Now the propane line and the power enters the seat area through this hole in the hidden compartment.

4. I got a 3/8 inch to 1/4 flare adapter and connected the 3/8 line to a short piece of 1/4 inch brass tubing which connected to the heater. Be careful with the fitting on the Carver. I believe it is a metric fitting and I would think that it would be nearly impossible to find a replacement for the nut here in the US. A 1/4 inch compression type fitting seems to work perfectly into the Carver fitting. I think it is 6mm.

5. I mounted the thermostat/control panel up on the rear coat closet. It is about in line with the cupboard closet above the bed. I drilled a hole at the bottom of the closet and ran the control wires inside the closet and out the hole and then down into the empty area next to the seat and them into the seat area.

6. I mounted the hot air exit down low to the ground. I decided not to mount a air entrance vent through the front face of the seat. I mounted the inlet through a hole in the vertical piece of wood that is between the seat and the cabinet. Anyways, my description is a bit confusing but it is not necessary to run the intake to the front of the seat. The hot air outlet has to make a sharp 90 degree turn. Instead of bending the ducting, I cut a 45 degree piece out of the ducting and silicone it back together to make a 90 degree turn.

Bobby Zezoff Folsom CA

PS I got the unit from Steve Lashley at ThingGuy. I am extremely pleased with his services and would recommend that you get the Carver from him.