Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Aug 1998 22:09:51 -0500
From:         Steven Cu <steven@PWORLD.NET.PH>
Subject:      Re: ac for my 82
Comments: To: marcus <marcus46@freewwweb.com>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.com

Marc,

I thought the 86 up models had dual air so I had this same configuration on mine, did not get to check the readings, initially I use both then as the cabin gets cool I shut off the rear (it has a solenoid valve to shut off freon flow) and just use the front. By the way I insulated the whole van w/ closed cell polyethylene foam.

It is a R12 system, cost is around 2K dollars for the parts.

---------- > From: marcus <marcus46@freewwweb.com> > To: Steven Cu <steven@PWORLD.NET.PH> > Subject: Re: ac for my 82 > Date: Saturday, August 15, 1998 9:47 PM > > Steve > Just when I thought I had this whole a/c situation solved and was ready > to post to list.Here you come.Now you have a true dual air system.The so > called dual air for 1986-1991 is really not.One evaporator,one > compressor,one condensor. But wait two fan motors. Wrong, they both come > on at the same time, so it's really just more volumn.Have you tested the > air output for temperature readings? Also how much was that puppy in US > dollars? Was it r12 or r134? Noisy Huh? Marcus > > Steven Cu wrote: > > > > I have an 82 and installed a dual a/c unit, It was a custom unit. The > > compressor is a Sanden Scroll w/ a multigroove belt ( solves belt clearance > > problems) The drive pulley is mounted between the fan and the crankshaft > > pulley. One evaporator is mounted where the front heater used to be( no > > need for heaters in our country, another is mounted on the clothes cabinet > > and ducted to two vents.(lost about 4 inches of cabinet height). The > > condenser is mounted where the watercooled vans have there radiator. > > > > Major modifications: > > > > Installed an aftermarket Mesa 96 plate oil cooler w/ fan > > > > Replaced the 65 Amp alternatror w/ a 90 Amp and upgraded alternator wiring > > > > Removed heater system > > > > I use the a/c most of the time being in a tropical country, average > > temperature are on the 90's. So far it cools very well with no problems at > > all. > > > > Steven > > 82 westy > > Manila Philippines > > > > ---------- > > > From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes57@EMAIL.MSN.COM> > > > To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM > > > Subject: Re: ac for my 82 > > > Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998 10:14 PM > > > > > > Assuming this is an air-cooled Vanagon, you do not want AC. You can not > > > afford to keep buying engines. > > > > > > Dennis > > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: Rob Wright <wright@APS.ANL.GOV> > > > To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> > > > Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 4:53 PM > > > Subject: ac for my 82 > > > > > > > > > >well here is my question can i install a factory type ac in my 82 westy > > > >it sure would be nice. > > > >And does anyone no were to get one.