Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:01:33 -0500
From:         Yi-Ruey Wei <ray.wei@US.PWCGLOBAL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C -R12--R134a (a bit off point)
Comments: To: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Eric, No, it's not fluorocarbons, it's the R-12 itself. Last time I heard the R-12 is still not banned in Europe. Not to mention Africa, Asia etc. What is good for ozone layer (even if the claim by EPA was right) if all other countries are still using R-12 (and release it to the air) and we have to convert to R-134a and pay huge price for it? Remember R-12 used to cost 99 cents?? Regards, Yi-Ruey Wei 87 Vanagon GL Syncro w/78K miles 85 Jetta GLI w/165K miles Dallas, TX

EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET> on 08/19/98 04:33:33 PM

Please respond to EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Re: A/C -R12--R134a (a bit off point)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Yi-Ruey Wei wrote:

> Why the US is the only country in the world trying to ban the superior > freon R-12 ???

Let's make sure we have the story straight. In Euorpe florocarbins (the propelant in spray cans) have been ban for year before the US ever did. After extensive legal battles it was found that the US (at the time) uses most of the R12 feon. So we were the target the "tree hugger"..... I'm one of them. What happened was a black market was instantly created and you can still get all the R12 you want! It figures.

Eric

---------------------------------------------------------------- The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.