Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:26:54 -0700
From:         Michael Harrnacker <harrnack@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Vanagon?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I think it would be a great idea, the only problem would be getting the Vanagon to pass federal head on collision standards. The feet first design could be prohibitively expensive to update. You'll recall that the Vanagon left the market before trucks and vans had to meet current crash standards.

I've actually wondered how much effort it would take to import and federalize the SA Vanagons as a private citizen (looking to resell).

CarlMarin@AOL.COM wrote: > > I had a thought today as I drove by some poor slob's new EuroVan that it would > be a masterstroke of genius for VW to bring back the Vanagon slightly restyled > perhaps and with the 2.0L inline four engine for the US market. Sell the > thing for about 20% less than the EuroVan and I think there would be huge > demand. The EuroVan was the VW attempt to snag a share of that Chrysler > minivan market. Well, Duh! People that want Chrysler minivans buy Chrysler > minivans! What some strategic planning weanie is missing about lackluster > Vanagon sales in the '80's is that all VW products were selling badly back > then. Cost to bring the Vanagon back? Next to nil I would think, just import > them from South Africa if nothing else. The design of the EV was also > supposed to be easier for mom and the kids to get into and out of, just like a > Chrysler minivan. Well, look at what people are buying now, the mom's most of > all. Huge sport utility vehicles like the Expedition and that hideous Mercury > Navigator that actually have running boards and steps to get up into them. > Mom wants an urban Armored Personnel Carrier today. The Vanagon had always > given its owners that head and shoulders above the traffic feel. > > The article about the Eurospec inline 4 engine conversion made me see that > that might well be the "perfect" Vanagon in the end. If you took away all the > problems the Vanagon has had associated with the Wasserboxer what else would > there be of any consequence? Would it be the perfect van? Certainly for that > segment of the population that wouldn't be caught dead or naked in a Chrysler > minivan it would be. That picture of the blue Eurospec Vanagon with the Euro > grill and SA alloys in European Car magazine could be the next US market VW > Van! Show of hands. If given a choice between a 1999 brand new Vanagon and > a shiney new Eurovan at 20% higher cost which would you plunk down money for? > > With the excitement generated by the new Beetle what VW needs is an affordable > and unique van, just as they have always had in the past. The Vanagon could > still be it, even share the same inline 8V 2.0L engine. Think of it! Common > engine between the Beetle and the Bus, its 1959 all over again! Sorry, > Eurovanners but I think the EV was the answer to a question no one was asking. > I guess they could always sell both so the Eurovan executives don't loose > face. > > Recall that it was consumer outrage and activism that got the present > generation Mustang built. Ford was going to drop the V8 rear wheel drive > Mustang and rebadge the Probe as a Mustang until the enthusiast mail started > rolling in. I think Ford is glad they listened to their customers for once. > You think VW will ever be caught actually listening to its customers? The new > Beetle makes me think there is hope for VW afterall. > > What do you think? > > Carl Turner > 84 and 85 Westies >