Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:22:30 EDT
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Paying for VW parts with Credit Cards (was: GoWesty
              Dissatisfaction - Typical or
Comments: To: D1ARCHER@aol.com, Vanagon@Vanagon.com

In a message dated 8/20/98 10:54:27 AM, D1ARCHER wrote:

<<You'll charge a 100% deposit and recieve NO business from me. If a business needs to charge a deposit (?!) for merchandise you are supposed to have IN STOCK, you don't deserve to be in business. As for the practice of charging you card before the merchandise is shipped, you can dispute that with your credit card company or ask them what the specific law is on this practice. This has come up before on another list I'm on, anyone know the specific agency that governs this? At any rate you can always decline the charge for the date listed if that was not the date shipped. David >>

We're not talking about in stock items, or at least I'm not.

If I'm going to order a bunch of Carver heaters from England, I have a couple of options available. I can front all the cash for these, and then add the associated costs to the purchase price, or I can get payment in advance, and pass the savings on to the customers.

I have a lot of requests to honor credit cards. I don't think most people understand how credit cards work. The banks charge the retailer a percentage of the sale on each transaction. When a business accepts credit charges, they have to raise their prices on all sales, cash or credit, to offset these costs. Even if you pay cash for an item, you still are paying for the privilege of the business offering the credit option. Remember when gas stations tried to offer a cash price and credit card price? This seemed fair to me, but the government made them stop.

I require a full payment in advance on any special order items. If you want to pay by credit card, then I will need to charge your card when you place the order. If I have an item in stock, then this is a non-issue, since it would ship immediately.

I need to purchase the Carver heaters in quantities of at least 10. If I have to sit on this inventory to offer these as an in stock item, I would have to raise the price considerably.

Steve Lashley "74 Campmobile SKL Enterprises Importing German Side Tents and Accessories for Bus, Vanagon and Eurovan, and Carver Propane Heaters http://members.aol.com/tentinfo