Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Aug 1998 20:26:22 GMT
From:         Steve Green <sgreen@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: tire wear & heater core
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The rear heater has several bits and pieces that can leak, on my van they all leaked.

If the core is leaking, you'll probably be able to see a buildup of gunk around the hole. If the core looks clean, it's probably OK.

The shutoff valve that's attached to the side of the core can leak around its valve stem and/or the gasket between it and the core. Warm up the engine to pressurize the system and then wiggle the valve to see if you can get it to leak.

The nylon bleeder screw on the top of the core can crack, or it's o-ring can fail. Again, give it wiggle and see if it leaks. The core that I got from the Bus Depot included the screw and o-ring.

Here are the parts I replaced and where I got them; the prices may not be current.

Item Part # price from ------------------------------------------------------- Heater Core 867 819 121A 89.95 www.busdepot.com Valve 867 819 809 56.55 dealer Valve Gasket 861 819 297 3.00 dealer Bleed Screw 861 819 039 2.64 dealer Bleed O-ring 867-189-037 1.44 dealer

Steve Green, Folsom, CA Zefram, 1984 Wolfsburg Westfalia