Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Aug 1998 20:26:18 -0500
From:         Joel Hembel <jhembel@EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 Diesel Westy Problem
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Kristopher B. wrote: > > Hello all.. recently it has been very difficult to start my 82 diesel.. > I have to pump at the gas ferociously for it to finally catch, and this > process can take up to 20 seconds or more... It's a new battery, I am > using the choke, the glow plugs are warmed.. > > Here is another real problem... when I go downhill, if I don't have the > foot on the gas and reving high, my westy will stall out, and I will > have to wait a few seconds and try to start her again.. also, it will > take some time to get her going back to normal.. > > There must be a problem somewhere in my fuel setup here. Its a new gas > filter, I think the injectors are clean. Air in the line? > > Thanks in Advance... Kris > -- > http://www.i2.i-2000.com/~krisbee

Hi, first of all, be careful on how long you crank! You may burn out your glow plugs. As long as the starter is engaged, the glow plug circuit is on- heating those plugs into meltdowm. I think your two problems are related. Your injection pump creates a suction that draws fuel from you fuel tank. There ar no other pumps, etc. Since you mentioned that the fuel filter is new; are you sure you installed it tight enough, and that the pet cock on the bottom is closed? I think you are sucking air from somewhere, and losing your prime to the pump. Fuel siphons back into the tank- so when you go to start it again, you have to pump all the air out to re-prime the injector pump. It's like when you have a hole in straw, and have trouble drinking your soda. There also should be a see thru fuel line by the injector pump- you should see few or no bubbles in the fuel supply. If your filter is fine, chec your fuel lines from the tank for holes and damage.

As for the glow plug idea, it too can cause poor starting when cold. It should not affect a warm engine. Check to see you have voltage at the glow plugs. There is a in line fuse between the glow plug relay, and glow plugs- that can burn out. More questions or info, let me know! I've had many VW diesels..............Joel Hembel