Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Aug 1998 00:45:21 -0700
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speedo calibration
Comments: To: vmontgo32@JUNO.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

FYI - TODD

From Bentley manual page 90.30 (Spedometer Calibration)

Speedometer Head

As of May 1983 the existing regulations (FMVSS127) concerning vehicle speed regulations were cancelled by the Department of Transportations (DOT). Starting May 1983 the only requirement is that the vehicles's speedometer indicate a higher speed than is actually being driven.

Speedometers having European calibration specifications were installed in vehicles for model years 1984 through 1985 (Until December 1984 production). These Speedometer heads have a basic tolerance of (+) 6.2 miles per hour with an additional (+) 5% of the actual speed driven.

For Example:

Actual Speed 50 miles per hour + Basic Tolerance 6.2 + 5% of actual 2.5

= Maximum indicated speed = 58.7 miles per hour.

Speedometers with the former FMVSS 127 calabration are installed starting with December 1994 production. These speedometer heads have a tolerance of (+) 3 miles per hour

For Example: Actual Speed 50 miles per hour + Basic Tolerance 3 miles per hour

=Maximum indicated speed = 53 miles per hour.

NOTE: It is required that the vehicles be equipped with OEM tires and wheels showing only normal tire wear.

ODOMETER

The Odometer reading is independent of the spped indication and is regualted by the Federal Trade Commition (FTC). The toleracne of the odometer indication is (-) 1% to (+) 3.5% of the actual miles driven

NOTE:

The number printed on the speedometer face plate beneath the word MPH shows the number of revolutions required by the speedometer cable multiplied by 100 to travel a distance of 1/100th of a mile (52 feet, 9.5 inches)