Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:00:21 -0400
From:         Craig Jon Anderson <craig@MARATHONTECHNOLOGIES.COM>
Subject:      HELP: Mixed Feelings about 84 Diesel Vanagon Find
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I found an 84 diesel Vanagon nearby. That is the good news. The bad news is that it was not in very good condition. I was disappointed because the ad and the owner lead me to believe that it was in better shape than it really was. In particular, I am suspicious that the transmission/clutch may have some hidden damage even though the guy said that it was "fairly new". The reason that I am suspicious is that he said the same thing about the paint job and there was a fair amount of rust.

Here is what I saw. PLEASE.. offer comments, tips, suggestions on how I can figure out more about the condition of this baby and whether I should spend any more effort. I am not a mechanic, so bear with some of the descriptions

1. Dogs used the interiour for a toilet. It stunk to high heaven. It appears that originally it was a 7 passenger or weekender, however all bench seat had been removed and what appeared to be some wood had been laid down on top of the original floor and then a bench bolted to that sideways behind the driver seat. There was carpeting laid down over the wood.

2. Four of the heat vents had tape over them.

3. It hasn't been started or run in over a year. They guy says that the engine was experiencing some "blow by" because of a bad piston or ring. He didn't know. There was still plenty of oil in the crankcase.

4. The air filter appeared relatively clean.

5. There was NO water/antifreeze in the resevoir. It was dry. It could have leaked/blown out or maybe he drained it to prevent freezing. Regardless, this bothers me. HOW DO I TELL IF THERE IS A CRACKED BLOCK?

6. Some sort of "cap" appeared to be missing where I believe the engine connects to the transmission. If you look into the engine compartment from the hatch, it is towards the back. The hole was about as big around a half dollar and I could stick my finger in the hole.

7. Since the guy wasn't there and his "soon to be ex-wife" didn't have the keys, I couldn't start it. I could shift into all the gears with the clutch pushed in.

8. The the engine side of the engine compartment cover seemed REALLY sootie/oily.

9. I was able to release the emergency brake and roll the thing about a foot on the flat with just my own shoulder power.

10. The plastic around steering column was gone.

11. There is substantial surface rust around the edges and doors with one or two through and through spots.

COMMENTS?

Craig ###

Craig Jon Anderson Strategic Accounts Business Development Marathon Technologies Corp. Nonstop Windows NT 978-266-9999 x145 978-266-0023 fax craig@marathontechnologies.com

http://www.marathontechnologies.com