Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:30:07 -0400
From:         Wil Haslup <dhaslup@EROLS.COM>
Subject:      80 Starter???
Comments: To: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hey folks,

I just joined the list and am looking for some advice...I'm really at a lose and am ready to get it towed to the mechanic...

A few months ago I managed to do some repairs and get an '80 Vanagon (manual) tagged and inspected and on the road after finding it for sale relatively cheap... I was excited with my deal...

Shortly afterward it wouldn't start...I assumed low battery and have charged it, jumped it and still nothing...

After reading a bit I replaced the starter/solenoid with a new/rebuilt...still nothing...I can get it to spin but not engage the flywheel by using my remote starter switch directly on the solenoid. I'm wondering if there weren't two types of starter since it will engage and spin out of the car...it seems like the drive gear just isn't going in far enough.

If this is the case I have a warranty and probably could get the right starter...

Still I've replaced the IGN switch too and can't get anything with the key though I can bridge the wiring in by contactint the hot to the starter wire in the harness...I think there must be something else in the circuit that just won't allow the starter to move...wiring problem...

I just don't know..

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance...

--

-- Wil

You cannot kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau