Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:07:38 -0700
From:         Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      pesky throttle switch
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 10:09 AM 8/16/98 -0700, you wrote: >I've been having an ongoing problem with my throttle switch. The symptom is >that _sometimes_ the engine doesn't idle properly. The idle hunts up and >down between about 1000 and 1600 rpm. The problem occurs mostly when the >engine is cold started. Once it reaches operating temperature, the problem >goes away. I have traced the problem to a throttle switch that sometimes >doesn't close at idle. >snip< >It's as if the throttle valve is sticking and preventing the switch from >closing. Yesterday I called a dealer to inquire about obtaining a new >throttle body. $680!! Not an option. > >Another odd thing I observed is that the switch behaves differently when the >engine is running. <SNIP-KEY CLUE FOLLOWS:> It always closes properly at the >idle position when the engine is off. The switch will only fail to close at idle >when the engine is running. It's almost as if the air rushing through the throttle body keeps the throttle valve from closing all the way sometimes. If I'm >driving, a sharp tap on the accelerator will usually cause the switch to close >properly. > >Mark McCulley >87 syncro Westfalia > As our VG's start aging, this may be a problem that crops up more often. Had a pair of Solex 40mm sidedrafts (on an NSU - ex SCCA CSR that I raced on dirt!!!) that were old, & the butterflies wouldn't return to idle unless you blipped the throttle (or the engine was off). The problem was that engine vacuum at idle creates a force of ~ 13 psi, or ~25 lbs of pressure which is carried by the butterfly shaft bearings (bushings, actually); as tiny as the bushings are, they're quite heavily loaded. Eventually the bushings wear into an ovoid/egg shape, allowing leakage & sticking. (sometimes the shafts wear out - or both!!...fun!). So anyhow the solution (pricey) was a set of Webers, since they used ball bearins & seals, all readily replaceable.

My solution for the Solexes, which I'll apply to the throttle body when the time comes, was to remove the butterflies/shafts, & either replace the bushings if they're there, or in the probable worse situation wherein the shaft is running directly on the throttle body parent material, I'll have to bore the throttle body & install: 1) preferably, sealed needle bearings, or; 2) bushings machined from Vespel SP21 (teflon infused polyimide-NOT nylon).

Austin