Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:52:32 -0400
From:         "Pierce, John D" <jdpierce@KPMG.COM>
Subject:      Rear Anti-sway bar
Comments: To: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I just finished installing my new ADDCO rear anti-sway bar on my 1985 Westy. I wanted to share my experience with the list. How are some tips/pros/cons:

1. Don't attempt to install one of these without the help of another person-it would be extremely diffcult. 2. Time to install- 2 people working 3 hours. This included 2 short trips to the local Home Depot to purchase additional parts. 3. I am not sure if the person who designed this every actually looked under a Vanagon before. The bar and parts appear to be of high quality but in order to get this bar to fit properly I needed to use one inch worth of washers as spacers on each side. My first trip to Home Depot was to purchase these washers. I installed these washers but this lead to the bolts then being too short. Hence another trip to Home Depot to buy longer bolts. 4. First thing to to when installing these bars is to secure bar to frame with the use of nylon ties. This makes it a much easier job from a phyiscal stand point. 5. Measure twice, drill once. 6. You will need to drill four 3/8 inch hole on each side of your Vanagon.

Pros:

1. Vanagon handles better on the street than before. I have not driven it on the highway or in any windy conditions yet. 2. Bar appears to be high quality and comes with ureathane bushings which are supposed to last longer than rubber.

Cons:

1. You will lose about 2.5 inches in ground clearence in the rear. 2. More diificult to install than it should be. Also extra parts are needed in order to get bar to fit properly.

Overall I think it with be a positive addition to my Westy.

If you decide to buy one you can order them through Pep Boys for about $145 + tax. Order part # 488U. The U designates Ureathane.

Thanks,

John P. Plano, TX 85 Westy