Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:03:33 8
Comments:   Authenticated sender is <wesn@mail.eskimo.com>
From:   Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@ESKIMO.COM>
Subject:   Re: dometic problems...
Comments:   To: Chris & Aimee Uzzi <uzzi@AIMNET.COM>, vanagon@vanagon.com

Sounds a whole lot like propane burner problems - literally, that is.

When the burner is burning full bore the combustion noise makes a solid, even roar when you place your ear near the vent cap. (Be careful though about placing your ear directly on the vent cap; it can be hot!) At low flame the noise diminishes to a very soft rumble or may even be almost quiet. Even at low flame though, the flame safety device will sense the flame and not trigger a gas shutoff or start the electric lighter (w/ the blinking light).

My guess is that ash and crud have accumulated around the burner, interfering with its operation and reducing the flame height below what's necessary for effective cooling. You might try blowing compressed air through the water drain (small pipe with screw cap at bottom front of fridge). This can sometimes clear the debris from around the burner - at least temporarily - restoring cooling under propane power. Ultimately though you will probably have to pull the fridge and dissasemble the combustion chamber to thoroughly clean the burner and exhaust flue.

BTW, I have found that listening to the sound the burner makes at the vent to be one of the most effective ways of judging the operation of the propane mode. An even, fairly loud rumbly roar indicates the burner is at high flame (as it should be when the thermostat is set to full cooling or the fridge is warm) and working properly. Low noise levels - at least at high load conditions - indicate a problem with the burner (usually a dirty combustion chamber) or a fuel supply problem (typically fuel control related, e.g. a bad thermostat or flame safety device). Variable noise levels - cycling between load roaring and nearly silent conditions - suggests problems with air-fuel mixture (which can cause this 'hunting' behavior) or control problems. I generally find this 'hunting' behavior to be a precursor to more serious problems - like no flame/cooling (though altitude can also cause it even with an otherwise properly functioning propane system).

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA wesn@eskimo.com