Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:58:59 -0400
From:         Tyrone Greene <macpine@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Tires....again
Comments: To: "Vanagon.List" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Volks,

I have a question about tires that might benifit others besides myself.

I'm looking for a set(5) of tires for my 87 GL Syncro. I currently have/had a set of Cooper P205/70x14 M+S tires. I didn't like the way they wore in only a year's time, not to mention that they realy couldn't hold a straight bead [or even close] on the road with wind buffeting the van though they were quiet.

My 81 L came with Cooper 27x8.50R14 LT which has a "C" load rateing. It's a excellent tire for road and field, but for highway travle it a'nt too great because the noise [though that hasn't stopped me from crusing down the highway with it]. I think the tread pattern is fairly agressive, but it wears Great!, even on the highway [about half or more tread depth is still there after 5 years - not to mention - they weren't new when I bought the van [[haven't done anything but rotate them once or twice]]].

I've been saving most of the List's comments and questions about tires to read them over again [as well as other's p-mail answers]. Most of what I see from the List falls within three camps: 1. Yokahama Y356 or Y370 185 OR 195/75R14 "C or D";

2. Michelin LTX or MXT 185 OR 195/75R14 "C or D" or MX4 205/70R14 "H";

3. BFGoodrich 27x8.50R14 LT All-Terranes (AT's) TA's.

OK, fine, now what? Some of the posts talk about tire highth, others about tire print. Some talk about both and their affects on braking, climbability, speed, stability, looks, and how they do in either mud or sand. So what is a Syncro to do seeing he'll spend most of hie time at the hands of my wife and hauling the tykes and grandfolks about on a daily cycle?

As y'all know, I sent a post telling about our blowout experiance. One of the things I found damaged by the self-destructing tire is the bottom rear body panel got all bent out of shape. So I need something that will carry the weight.

Out of curiousity, is there that much difference between a 185, a195, a 205, and a 215/70[or 75]R14 "C or D" tire? I like the tall wide look, but if I cannot get a "D" rateing in the All-T's, what's a Syncro to do?

Tyrone Big Pine Key, Fl

87,85,81