Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:29:54 -1000
From:         Peter Zendzian <peterz@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Fwd: Intake manifold vacuum?]
Comments: To: Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>,
          Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Ok, I may be able to save all of you some time here. I am having a similar problem on my 1.9. I have completely rebuilt my top end, p/c, heads, lifters, everything that can be done without cracking the case. I did all this and came up with the same compression that I had before the rebuild. 1-90,2-150,3-85,4-150. I have done alot of research and spent alot of time on the phone with Fast German Auto (I am in no way affiliated with them) diagnosing the problem. One of the tests they had me run after I still had the problem after the rebuild was a vacuum check. The Vacuum check can tell many things, if the vacuum is low, mine is 7 in. be happy you can get 14, it means that you either have a vacuum leak or low compression or a valvetrain problem. The needle on my vacuum gage also vibrated about .25in signifying that there defiantly was a valvetrain problem. Because of all that I have already done to the engine and still had the same problems, we surmised that one or more of the camshaft lobes was worn and since one lobe on the camshaft affects the 2 pistons opposite each other, that was my best bet. Now of course I am still screaming mad because I had the engine out for this overhaul only a few months ago!! I now have a reground camshaft for a 2.1 on the way and new bearings for the main, cam and rod for might as wells (since the engine is open, might as well finish the job!) I will let you know the results when I have finished the job which I plan on starting around the 15th of September.

Pete peterz@gte.net 83.5 vanaong -----Original Message----- From: Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, August 24, 1998 7:15 AM Subject: [Fwd: Intake manifold vacuum?]