Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:18:05 -0400
From:         Tyrone Greene <macpine@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Crash Report
Comments: To: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Volks,

Last sunday evening, I was on my way into town [Key West, FL.] to pick up my wife and two cookie munchers, when no sooner than having arrived in Old Town [the historic part of Key West] and while traveling less than the posted speed [35 mph] due to traffic, the cars in front of me quickly stopped. I in turn did likewise, but the truck belonging to a guy from Guyana behind me didn't. I looked in my rear view mirror as I stopped, it dawned on me this truck isn't going to stop untill it hits the van! Fortunatly for all conserned, he was not going too fast as he at the last moment did try to brake. "Huh?!?", said my 87 GL Syncro as though something was being stuffed up the south end of a north bound critter. No persons [he or I] were injured.

The front of the truck [84 Ford Ranger] is toast...as well as it's rear right tire which went flat on the spot.

On the other hand, the Syncro fared better in that there was no damage to the body. Though the rear bumper got tagged, it's still useable. What took the brunt of the impact was the bolted on tow bar. It was bowed in somewhat as well as it and the tie-down loops it is bolted to are tilted down another 30 deg. or so. The ball [which is still fine] must have been the first point of impact as the bar is bowed around it and the trucks bumper is severly poked in where the two kissed.

But the thing that has me concerned the most is what I can't see. Since this little rear assault, there has been a new lively sound coming from the front right side that involves something in the suspension. Especialy is it audiable when going over any unevenness in the roadway.

So my question is this, What kind of shop do you volks think I should take the Syncro to have it's downunder checked? Or should this be a dealer thing? If so, keep in mind that the nearest dealer [South Motors] is three hours north of me up in south Miami and would involve two people in two vehicles to make a six or so hour trip on two different days [and we are not talking about weekends either].

Also, the guy who did the dirty deed is calling and pressuring me already about if I have an amount the cost will be, because he doesn't want his insurance company to have to deal with this boo boo. His home is in Miami but he's living down in Key West during the week because of the municiple waste water construction job he is on. I donot want to get "plumbed" by this! Please send your .02 cents worth!

Tyrone Big Pine Key, FL

87,85,81