Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:02:16 -0400
From:         Ed Stevens <ejstevens@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: I just test drove the 99 Eurovan Camper
Comments: To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

On 8/25/98 9:50 AM, Alex Zaborenko eloquently inscribed

>First a quick history since this is my first posting > >I have been in the market for a new car for a little while and was >planning on buying a Passat until about one and a half weeks ago when >I after a weekend trip to to Montreal (from NJ) I realized I really >wanted a van. I remembered seeing the Eurovan camper a few years back >but hadnt seen one since. I stopped by a dealer who said he had no >idea what was going with the van. A quick internet search later and I >found vanagon.com and this mailing list and decided to call VW >directly. They told me only a few dealers aorund here are carrying it >and gave me few names in the tri-state area. VW said VT, CO, and the >west coast were the primary distribution point. One of them just got >two in yesterday and last night I went to take a look. > >My first impression is of the engine. Huuuuuge difference between the >VR6 and the previous 4 cyl offered. Its still no sports car but I had >no complaints. Its now offered with an optional single seat or bench >seat in the middle row which was not mentioned anywhere I had looked. > >Anyway I'm definitely interested in buying one but my main issue now >is the price. The MSRP for the camper van is $35,900. With the bench >seat its about 36,500. The dealer in my initial negotiation only was >willing to drop $1500 off the price. I was just wondering what other >people have experienced. The camper conversion was listed as having a >$9500 list price, they hadn't even put the sticker up yet for the van >itself but I'm assuming it was $26,400. I'm sure they have about 10% >markup on the van alone let alone the markup on the conversion. > >Any help is appreciated. > where did you see the camper? Did they have a weekender? I am in PA and would like to see it.

I think you've got some good pricing (and perhaps erroneous) as I have test driven the MultiVan yesterday and I found this VWweb site pricing to be accurate through several phone calls to dealers:

US VW Prices - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price* EuroVan GLS $29,900 EuroVan MV $31,400 Weekender Package for MV $ 3,495

The weekender must be added to the MV pricing (according to salesman who know very little, have no brochures, and haven't seen the vast amount of data at the VW web site). So I see the poptop MV at $ 34,895. The rest of the camper at $ 35,900 strikes me as a good price differential ($1,000 for cabinets, sink, stove, shower <g>, etc. Everyone I spoke with thought the camper would be about $40k which a price delta of $9,500 on top of the GLS or MV web prices would be. I would run back there, bargain off the $35,000 and run like %$#@.

I am jealous as I have not been able to find a camper or weekender anywhere near me.

Can you tell me any of the following:

Do the front seats swivel inwards? Is there more than 10 inches between folded down armrests (as in MV)? How about the airconditioning in the rear (the GLS and MV 2nd AC unit is gone as are the overhead AC vents)?

I agree that the power and smooth ride are in this vehicle. I am eagerly awaiting a look at the dual bed models.

-peace Ed Stevens Valley Forge PA