Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:42:02 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Head gasket replacement (83.5 Westy)

Yesterday a HEAVY drip of antifreeze suddenly appeared under my engine. When I removed the plate that covers the pushrod tubes and started the engine I saw that the source of the leak seemed to be a low spot at the very center of the head gasket (thick "rubber" gasket under the head)as the area around the very visible drip was dry with no moisture trails leading to it. There was also a small patch of "rust" color where the gasket meets the head around the area of the drip. All other areas of the gasket were pristeen. No hoses or other fittings in the area showed any signs of leakage. This surprised me as, except for a very slight oil leak I have had for years, there was no indication of an impending failure (like a slow antifreeze leak). It went from bone dry to a gusher. Is it common for a head gasket to fail this suddenly? This appears to be a simple case of replacing the gasket but could I be wrong in my diagnosis? Could this be the dreaded head problem I have heard about (there is only 65,000 miles on the van)?

I looked through the Bentley and the gasket replacement seems pretty straightforward but my paranoia tells me that a corollary to Murphy's Law is in effect here (If you believe everything is under control you appearently do not realize the true situation). Hense this posting.

Given my description is my diagnosis correct?

Is there anything I am leaving out?

Is there anything else I should check before I pull the head?

Once the head is pulled, is there anything I should look for or do "as long as I am in there"?

What parts should be replaced (like pushrod tubes?) should be replaced to avoid having to pull the head again at a later date?

Any advice, observations, wisecracks, ect. would be much appreciated.