Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 1998 02:01:47 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <dkatsuki@WORLD.STD.COM>
Subject:      Re: anti-sway bar
Comments: To: Rick Ferguson <rfergus@RICHMOND.INFI.NET>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Rick,

I'd go with Dennis' suggestion and check the caster angle first, but if it's really play in the steering, you might also check the bushings that mount the steering rack for excess play/softness (they are somewhat soft even when new). On one of my vans, I augmented the stiffness by taking the bolts out and stuffing several rubber washers into the existing (new) bushings. Seemed to help some, but I think the main reason for that road wander is likely to be caster angle. I assume the shop checked the upper control arm bushings for wear?

Dave

87 Wolfsburg 90 Westfalia

At 07:00 AM 8/25/98 +0000, Rick Ferguson wrote: >Hi, Thanks for replying. This all seems to have started when I >replaced the springs on the rear, raising the van up level like it >should be...the alignment shop told me that now they could get a >proper alignment. The tires are Yoko 370s the shocks are Bilstien two >years old. The power steering pump and rack were replaced about two >years ago as well...My local VW shop completely checked out the front >end and say everything is good there, they also say it is not in the >steering. They are stumped, the alignment shop says that it is >because of the rack and pinion steering and that's all they can >do...and they have a very good reputation around here. The VW shop >disagrees and say that other Vanagons and Westies don't have this >problem. Basically there is a play in the steering when I go over >bumps in the road...almost like one wheel is going over the bump >first then the other and it causes the bus to feel slightly out of >control, sometimes more than slightly...this is even more >nervewracking at higher speed in the wind, altho on smooth surface >the bus does ok. I'm at a place where a new engine is needed but I >must get this resolved before I can justify the further expense. I >love my Westie and want to keep it but I'm frustrated by this >problem. Thanks again for any advice. >Rick >