Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:01:49 +0200
From:         Michael Kraewinkel <M.Kraewinkel@MITUTOYO.DE>
Subject:      AW: AW: TDI and the Quest for the Diesel Vanagon(very longish!)
Comments: To: "trosgol@enterprise.net" <trosgol@enterprise.net>
Comments: cc: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

hi don i will begin to start this intercooler conversion at about november. first iŽll go to southern france for vacancies, then my wifes car has to be done, and then i hope i can begin the conversion. the intercooler comes from a crashed audi (because of it is mounted behind the front bumper they often get damaged only at their holders, with some tig welding you can make them like new). i got mine for free from a local vw dealer from their scrap box. the hoses will be welded from (furnace installation-hope thats the right word??). i havent yet decided where to locate the intercooler itself, but it will be somewhere in the lower part of the engine area. btw martin has his intercooler where the battery has been before, but i wont take a second battery under the front seats. there are three or more? suppliers for conversion kits in germany: one is oettinger with an watercooled intercooler, with a second watercooler under the original cooler behind front mask. OETTINGER Technik Phone ++ 49 61 7295330 Fax ++ 49 61 953344 the kit is still available for about 3500$. the problem with it is that you have to change settings at the wastegate and the injection pump which they want to have done at their site. the second is papmahl doing the same thing. imo i think the advantage of better thermal stability of a water to air intercooler is balanced by the main disadvantage of a lot of additional water hoses running under the car to the front and a second water pump.

the third dealer is located near to me at aachen he is having a complete conversion kit with an air to air intercooler including an oxi catalysator and inspection according to local (german) laws for about 1300$ (im not related to any vw dealer anyhow exept for a small used parts bmw motorcycle dealer nearby). if you are interested i will try to get his adress and fax number, most of this guys understand a little bit of english, so he can send some information to you.

imo i think the cheapest way to get to more power is to get a good 1.9l td (not available in germany! :-( ) and do the selfmade intercooler job with it. greetings michael p.s. the main problem with that 1.9l tdi engine conversion is the horrible price. ive heard from 5k$ up to 12k$ for the complete conversion.