Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:48:08 -0900
From:         Steven Johnson <afslj1@UAA.ALASKA.EDU>
Subject:      O2 Sensor Questions
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Greetings listees:

I can hear what you're saying: "not another O2 sensor post!" But bear with me. I've tried to search the archives, but for some reason I keep failing.

This has been an ongoing problem with my '87 Westy: I'll be driving down the road, van will suddenly lose power. It will idle, roughly, but will not accelerate. When I turn off the key, something "resets" and the van runs fine for a minute or two, but then will lose power and run roughly again. Clearly a fuel supply problem, but why?

Things done:

1. new fuel pump and filter 2. another new fuel filter 3. auxiliary wiring harness for AFM installed

After each of these "fixes," the van runs fine for a while (not a set period of time, just "a while.") In fact, after the aux. wiring harness for the AFM I thought the problem was solved; no stutters for over 2000 miles. But, on my way to catch monster Alaskan rainbow trout last weekend, the same thing happens.

So I (reluctantly) take it to my VW dealer (prior to this, I'd been dealing with my trusted local mechanic). Keep in mind that part of the problem is that, even without a "fix", the problem goes away, so the van is essentially running normally when I take it to a mechanic (i.e. after the stumbles this weekend, the van has run fine).

The dealer mech interrupts me halfway through my explanation of symptoms and says "...and if you shut it off and start it up again it runs fine for about a minute or two?"

"YES!!" I respond, elated that someone is familiar with the problem.

"It's your O2 sensor," says the dealer mech.

So here are my questions:

1. Is the O2 sensor that cylindrical object stuck into the end of the catalytic converter?

2. Where do you unplug it to replace it? I've traced the wired into the engine compartment and found what looks like a plug junction, but couldn't seperate the wires.

3. Can you run the engine without the O2 sensor? I ask for two reasons:

a. I'd like to be able to unplug it next time it falters and see if the problem goes away, and

b. If you can run it without it, what's my motivation for replacing it?

4. Ron advertises O2 sensors to replace mine that "require splicing". What's meant by this? The archives seem full of stories of spliced O2 sensors that don't work. As someone who's not terribly technically proficient, I'm hesitant to attempt to solder and shrinkwrap a generic sensor.

5. Where's the best place to get a stock sensor? How much should I expect to pay? Is it relatively easy to install a stock sensor? It doesn't look like it would be a huge problem.

Thanks for the info, people. Your advice and willingness to share it make owning a VW a much more pleasant experience.

Steve

Steve Johnson Anchorage, AK