Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Aug 1998 05:04:14 EDT
From:         Bill Webster <MDNEKLTD@AOL.COM>
Subject:      80 Vanagon AC
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Wil wrote.... My 80 Vanagon also had AC in it originally...a previous owner removed the compressor...

The hoses, etc. are still in tact. Can anyone give me any idea what kind of performance impact/horsepower drop I might expect if I reinstalled it?

Dear Wil, I have owned three 1980 Vanagons with AC. Some had an interior roof mounted unit with freon lines coming up behind the drivers seat and drain tube going down behind the passenger seat (nice unit). And one was an under the front dash unit (it wasn't to good). I do know the clutch drive for the compressor was very hard for me to find one time.Hope yours is O.K. If you need one I have an extra. If you have the condensor mounted underneath and are going to change to 134 type coolant you might want to add extra fans or add an extra condensor (maybe up front like the water hauler vanagons) . 134 coolant works great going down the road (where air can flow over the condensor) but in traffic(where there is little air flow) it lacks the quick ability of freon to condense. Thus it cools less. By adding a fan or extra condensor you condense the 134 more thus more cold air inside the van when it evaporates. Hope this helps.

Bill Webster Meridian,Ms.