Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:54:10 -0500
From:         Harmon Seaver <hseaver@HARMON.BML.USOUTHAL.EDU>
Subject:      Exhaust popping??
Comments: To: type2@type2.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

OK, got my '81 engine back in my '73, with new heads, new seals, and it starts and runs really good. Much better than before, because besides the new heads (and the engine only had about 10K on it), I found a cracked rubber elbow on the air regulator (?? -- is that the right name, it controls the cold start valve -- a bad vacuum leak that I never could see before) and also figured out that since I don't have the EGR hooked up (extractor exhaust w/no EGR port) I should disconnect the EGR/throttle connection, right? Otherwise that's just another vacuum leak at high speed. Anyway, this morning I re-did the valve adjustment, just to make sure that it was right after the lifters got pumped up. One, the intake on #3, which I noticed when I put the engine back together made a weird clicking noise when I turned the engine over by hand, still seems a little weird. Like it isn't as solid as the rest, but it doesn't make that rattling noise that lifters sometimes make after the engine has sat for awhile. So, I wouldn't worry about it, except that I've got this constant exhaust pop whenever I let off the gas. Sounds great otherwise. Could be a slight exhaust leak, I guess, since I couldn't get the right side top bolt to tighten all the way -- the support bracket that comes down from the fan housing on that side seems too short and won't pull in all the way. I could get the bolt thru it and get a nut on it, but not really snug it up. So should I worry about the exhaust pop or not -- I'm about to take a 1120 mile cruise with this? Also, I should mention, my timing light died, so I just set the timing statically at 0 TDC to be on the safe side. Sure starts nice, and great throttle response, power, etc. So far the oil temp hasn't gone over 210 with 95 ambient temp. Hey, another thing -- you volks should be proud of me -- I got rear tin! A bit crude, probably never get a real seal on it, but at least it's a heat shield between the exhaust and the fan.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@harmon.bml.usouthal.edu http://harmon.bml.usouthal.edu ======================================================================= All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way of the Samurai is death -- so speak your mind now, or forever hold your peace. ======================================================================= Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1998. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent. =======================================================================