Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:42:30 -0400
From:         Timothy Crooks <anc1cde@INJERSEY.INFI.NET>
Subject:      Re: O2 Sensor Questions
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <afslj1@UAA.ALASKA.EDU>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Steve, To answer some of your questions let me share with you what I know. I had a symptom similar to yours, and found out a few things. Is your wiring harness to your vane sensor/air flow sensor directly connected or is there a link of wire some electronic stuff inside. There has been a problem with waterboxers since their dawn and the symptom may go away for months at a time or come back. This link helps it has a one way diode in it to help filter out some other signals in the doghaus there. Mine had this problem, especially on very cold days after driving at very high speeds for prolonged periods. If this is not the case, check the wiring between your O2 sensor, (yes that cigarette shaped device in the cat) and where it diconnects for adjusting. Whislt this may not be the problem itself, bear with me, I am only landmarking structures. Now follow that wire up to the front of the eng compartment and see where it goes into the main harness. Is it intact? Mine had a weakpoint where it would have continuety and then not. I figured it out when I accidently broke it off and the problem was very pronounced indeed! I had to cut open the harness, try to bring out enough wire to strip, and solder it in place. I then sealed in epoxy and she's held up great since then. Now if it is your sensor let me tell you this and what it does. Most of our Cali breteren are all to familiar with emission control devices. On the newer Vanagons, like ours this device will monitor the O2 content of the exhaust before it enters the cat. It will send a signal to the CPU which will send a signal to the vane/air flow sensor to amke adjstments to the air/fuel ratio in the engine. This hapeens very fast and is constant. Why replace it? Well federal law says to to begin with. If your state has a IM programme and you get your ute inspected, it will not pass if the O2 sensor is bad. Yes it will run, in fact pretty good with it diconnected, but it will allow more HCO, CO and other free organic compound to enter the air, and your cat. It will decrease the life of your plugs and your cat. (Now I just read your post again and saw you added the vane sensor harness link, so disregard the beginning of this reply, but it may help others with a similar question). Before you go back to the VW agency to sink a lot of $ into a new sensor, realise there are less expensive after market products you can mail order in line. Some of there are not Bosch custom and may require you to spice a bit, but the cost savings is worth it. Try http://www.busdepot.com/, they have good prices. Another choice is http://www.bus-boys.com/, but there are warnings about them at the Vanagon Website. Godd luck to you. Anyone else have any ideas? -Tim 1990 GL Barnegat, NJ