Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:08:38 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: O2 Sensor Questions
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <afslj1@UAA.ALASKA.EDU>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 11:48 AM 8/26/98 -0900, Steven Johnson wrote: >So here are my questions: > >1. Is the O2 sensor that cylindrical object stuck into the end of the >catalytic converter? Yep, that's it. > >2. Where do you unplug it to replace it? I've traced the wired into the >engine compartment and found what looks like a plug junction, but >couldn't seperate the wires. > There should be two plugs--one with two conductors and one with one conductor If you want to "disable" the O2 sensor, disconnect the single-conductor connector. This is a spade-lug connector. The other two conductors are connected to a heating element that preheats the sensor.

>3. Can you run the engine without the O2 sensor? I ask for two reasons: > Yes, The ECU will run the FI in open-loop mode if it detects that the O2 sensor isn't there. Open loop mode means that the ECU will make it's best guess at the air-fuel ratio without any feedback from the O2 sensor.

> a. I'd like to be able to unplug it next time it falters and see if the >problem goes away, and > That should be a good first step at diagnosing your problem. There's lots more information in the archives about further tests you can make.

> b. If you can run it without it, what's my motivation for replacing >it? > The engine will run better and produce less pollution if the O2 sensor is installed and functioning properly. The O2 sensor not like an appendix, it has a useful function.

>4. Ron advertises O2 sensors to replace mine that "require splicing". >What's meant by this? The archives seem full of stories of spliced O2 >sensors that don't work. As someone who's not terribly technically >proficient, I'm hesitant to attempt to solder and shrinkwrap a generic >sensor. > If you aren't comfortable splicing and soldering a generic sensor then you probably should just fork out the extra bucks for an OEM sensor. It's really not very hard though.

>5. Where's the best place to get a stock sensor? How much should I >expect to pay? Is it relatively easy to install a stock sensor? It >doesn't look like it would be a huge problem. > Camelback VW (800 876-5199) would probably be the cheapest place to get a stock sensor. Ask for the "Internet discount." I don't know exactly what they cost, I think that they are over $100 though. Quite a bit more than the generic sensor. They are pretty easy to install. Liberally soak the old one in penetrating oil before trying to remove it.

>Thanks for the info, people. Your advice and willingness to share it >make owning a VW a much more pleasant experience. > Good luck!

MM