Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 1998 07:48:00 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Audi wheels!![long]
Comments: To: John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>, vanagon@vanagon.com

The answer is yes as far as I can tell, the front wheel on my Syncro does fit tightly around the hub just like the Rabbits and Audis that I own. I have a set of spare 15" steel Audi wheels that I am pondering about getting the hubs drilled out. There is a lip on the Audi wheel that has to be removed. Once this lip is gone it will look and fit exactly like the Vanagon wheel does. Machine shop here charges $10 per wheel for the lathe work.

At 23:24 8/26/98 -0400, you wrote: >>wheels had a vast opening in the center. sorry for being long >>winded but the only danger in machining the wheel center is in >>compromising the wheel's structural integrity. > > >But I'm going to throw something in on Jim's comments so people don't go >apples and oranges, I fully agree with his comments relative to any rear >wheel drive t1, t2, t3, t4 or vanagon, but this DOES NOT hold true for ANY >FWD car. FWD vw's and all front drive cars should have hub concentric >alloys (or inserts therein) or wheels in general for proper balance and to >avoid eating front wheel bearings (sort of delicate things despite their >size because they have a rotating shaft though them instead of a static >spindle) and for generaly smooth running when you are also trying to apply >the power though the potentially turned wheels. This gets more important >the heavier the wheel and the larger the diameter with more of the mass at a >greater radius from the hub. This also raises a real interesting question >IMHO. My old quantum syncro and any Audi quattro and I assume mom's (ugh) >Subaru has hub concentri wheels all round, but what of the syncro van??? >Particularly with steel wheels which as Jim mentions are no where near >hubcentric on a regular vans hubs. Do the front hubs on a syncro force >concentricity with steel wheels or is it maintained by the lug bolts as on a >standard van. Truly bored minds want to know. > >John >janderson@iolinc.net > >

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING PMAIL --