Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:53:32 -0400
From:         Wil Haslup <dhaslup@EROLS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help getting lug nuts off
Comments: To: Bryan Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>,
          Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hello Bryan

On 23-Aug-98, Bryan Feddish wrote: > My '83 westy has a flat in my driveway and if I use the "factory supplied" > lug wrench all I'm doing is stripping the nuts. Any suggestions on getting > them off?

Having had a few similar experiences (I was once towing a 68 Pontiac Bonneville on a tow bar back to Maryland from Chicago after the timing gears went...we had a flat and the provided lug wrench didn't fit well enough...borrowed a four way and bent it slightly breaking the rusted nuts loose)

...I'll offer the following:

Please disregard if any of these are obvious or you tried them already...

First spray with WD-40 or some other lubricant.

I would also try tapping on the nuts and studs with something/small hammer to break loose any rust...caution here not to mash the threads...tap from the sides...not too hard...you only want to vibrate them a bit and let the oil in further...

Let it sit a bit...spray again...

Next, try to find a 4 way lug wrench that FITS.

Otherwise I've seen those wrench gadgets that supposed don't round off but I don't know if they work...

When all else fails I guess a torch and new stud are in order...:-(

Regards --

-- Wil

A fool-proof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble; then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.