Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Aug 1998 11:12:04 -0400
From:         Wil Haslup <dhaslup@EROLS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 80 Vanagon AC
Comments: To: Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>, Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hello Joel

On 22-Aug-98, Joel Walker wrote: > On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 22:55:18 -0400 you said: >> My 80 Vanagon also had AC in it originally...a previous owner removed the >> compressor... >> The hoses, etc. are still in tact. Can anyone give me any idea what kind of

> the hoses may still EXIST, but that doesn't mean they'll hold a charge of > freon. :( plus, the hoses being open to the atmostphere means that your > dryer is certainly shot (it sucks up enough humidity in a few hours to > be worthless).

Thanks...sounds like the actual compressor is the only part that wouldn't have suffered from the disconnection.

>> performance impact/horsepower drop I might expect if I reinstalled it?

> figure about 2-5 horsepower. the biggest impact is the cooling of the > aircooled engine. the added work makes the engine hotter, and the time you > use the a/c most is the time the engine has the LEAST cooling ability: > at low rpm, like at stop signs and stop lights, and in slow city traffic. :( > IF you put it back together, might i suggest the addition of an external > additional oil cooler? this adds another quart of oil to the system, AND > drops the oil temp quite a bit (which means the engine is a lot cooler). > cost is about $150-200, and it's definitely worth it, in my opinion. i put > one on my old 80 bus years ago, and was well pleased with it.

Sounds reasonable...the engine was rebuilt in '95 by a previous owner and seems quite solid...these additions sound like the ticket to keep things cool.

>> Can I use today's refrigerants or am I stuck?

> you're free to use R-134a, since you are gonna rebuild the system. it's > cheaper to use, anyway. but you'll need a new compressor ... (cause he took > the old one off, not because of the R-134a) ... and that's a BIG expense. :(

No, I got all the parts in a box including the old compressor and the some of the parts from the auxillary heater...(I don't have any plans to do the heater...not really comfortable with the idea on something this old and it seems warm enough anyway.)

I was just curious if the old compressor would work with R-134...I've heard that some older compressors on GMs require some sort of kit to convert them.

Regards --

-- Wil

Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. -- Lily Tomlin